Counting Women | Women Count | Australia
After reading of another woman brutally murdered by her ex-spouse, I decided to start Australia’s Femicide Census, today.
My first project is to count & detail the women and children murdered for the Year 2010 – 2012 & detail the suffering they endured.
Therefore, please be aware that some of the nature of these posts are <GRAPHIC> in nature.. however I feel its important to detail the true brutality that these beautiful women & children suffered mostly from the men they loved.
511 victims of homicide in 2010-2012.
- 247 victims in 2010-11
- 264 victims in 2011-12.
- 182 were women.
- 121 of these women were killed by an offender with whom they shared a domestic relationship.
- 76% of intimate partner homicide were females.
- 61 homicide victims were children under 18 years of age.
- 24 of the children, were between one and nine years of age
- 12 of these children where under one year of age
The intention of the census is “to be an important tool, enabling us to monitor fatal male violence against women and provide data to help analyse and reduce the number of women killed by men. If we don’t name and reveal the extent of men’s fatal violence against women and the various forms it can take, we will never be capable of a thorough enough analysis to reduce or end it.” Karen Ingala Smith